Billerica homeowners over the age of 60 can receive a $1,500 tax abatement in exchange for 100 hours of volunteering for the Town of Billerica. Applications for the Billerica Senior and Veteran's Tax Work-Off Program are being accepted now through July 31st, 2023. The applications can be picked up at the Billerica Council on Aging. Contact David Lamore at (978)-215-2005 for more information or if you need assistance.
The Town of Billerica also offers honorably discharged veterans who own and reside in a Billerica property, or their proxies, to earn the same tax credit as those in the Senior Property Tax Work-Off program. Qualifications and benefits mirror those in the Senior Property Tax Work-Off program.
Applications for both programs will be available at the Billerica Council on Aging at 25 Concord Rd, through July 31, 2023. Applications can be picked up from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Monday through Friday.
The qualifications for participation in the Senior Property Tax Work-Off Program will remain the same as last year. Asset valuation is one of the determining factors to participate. The Town Assessor’s office makes the determination for asset eligibility. Assets include:
- Checking Account(s)
- Savings Account(s)
- Mutual Fund(s)
- All Registered Motor Vehicles
- Any other Real Estate owned other than current residence
The guidelines of The Tax Work-Off Programs are as follows:
- Senior participants must be Billerica homeowners, age 60 or older, living in their home, with their name on the deed and no plans to sell or transfer it before February 2024.
- The property must be owned by the applicant as of July 1, 2023.
- If the property is in a trust, the applicant must be a trustee or have a life estate in the property in order to qualify for the program.
- Married couples may work together to complete 100 hours.
- Participants should plan to complete their 100 hours by February 29, 2024.
- W-4 and CORI (Criminal Offender Record Information) forms are part of the application. A copy of a picture ID is required for the CORI.
- Veterans who participate must be honorably or medically discharged and provide certification of their veteran status (DD214).
The Senior Property Tax Work-Off Program and the Veteran’s Property Tax Work-Off Program are administered by the Council on Aging in conjunction with the Town Manager, Assessor, Treasurer, and Accounting offices.